[Yr7-10it] Scratch, Gamemaker, VB.net, Python, PHP and MySQL - Programming for all levels

Bill Kerr billkerr at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 23:42:08 EST 2007

Hi Kent,

> Its now that time when subject selection is being made. My gut feeling is
that since I dont 'pander' to the kids (ie be their best buddy or let them
play games all the time!), they decide to put IT down low on their list of
choices. Hey, its their loss I say.

I think there's a big background debate going on all the time in education
these days. In one corner - back to basics. In the other corner, some sort
of "discovery learning" and yes, I agree with you that often the latter is
ineffectual (but not always)

Your approach is authentic, no doubt about it. The kids know that you are
offering something that contains rigour.

My approach has included the idea of tapping into things that motivate kids
- to make some sort of connection between game playing (fun) and game making
(rigour). But I ended up rejecting slogans like "Have fun while you learn"
as far too sugary

I thought that might keep up the enrollments in IT but what I have found is
that it didn't. At senior school level there are other considerations that
students take more into account than "fun" -

   - what job
   - what career pathways
   - can I do it? (not too hard)

But I still think that Seymour Papert's initial big idea was correct - how
can we use computers to teach powerful ideas to children. I like the way
alan kay recently put it:

"One thing that seems to be almost universal around the world, is that the
notion of children learning some subject (like mathematics) is almost always
posed as "how can children be taught the adult version of this subject?",
rather than, as Montessori, Piaget, Bruner and Papert have shown "how can we
find an honest children's version of this subject?"

IMO thats how we should be using computers in school

- Bill