[Yr7-10it] Re : .. Programming for all levels

Costello, Rob R Costello.Rob.R at edumail.vic.gov.au
Mon Sep 17 21:23:14 EST 2007

Following all these programming discussions with interest

Here's a thought for you...

How did you all learn programming?

What role did formal school have, if any?

How much personal time?

I remember reading something David Perkins said - that in his
observations - circa 1985 - none of the budding student programmers he
observed had arrived at any competence without a huge personal
investment of time

I've gone into bat for Logo in school at times - along the lines of
thinking "where is the DNA for a programming mindset for students,
unless we offer something parallel to the BASIC language I learnt".

But maybe its the lack of a "BASIC" that is the real problem - a generic
(and fairly common) "Beginners All Purpose Symbolic Instruction Code" on
most computers  - and I guess that's whats under discussion in all these
discussions - whats the best "BASIC" these days.
Maybe we just need to put a few good tools in their hands and start them
off - Alice, Scratch, Gamemaker, Squeak - whatever.

Let those who like it, run with it

Maybe not Javascript, C#, Java, Actionscript etc

At least, not at first

Harder to get to an independent / creative level there, I reckon

(In spite of the prevalence of Javascript on the web, I think its pretty
hard to deeply "get", without an OOP background)

I like the visual drag and drop of GameMaker - although it's a pity it
doesn't show the corresponding code when you drag in an "icon" - and I
feel the pure coding side of GM is still quite tricky, a "curly bracket"
language,  with events, object level scope etc - compared to the old
procedural BASIC, its not easy.
I know kids can dabble in a bit of code in GM, on top of their visual
stuff, which is nice - but again how much are they "getting" in a
transferable way.  I love its visual productivity - pity it doesn't show
the code of their visual efforts - a little like recording a visual
basic macro.

 I reckon VB is ok - if you can avoid the temptation to go GUI too early
- but the language has got so cluttered its not as much of a beginners
sand pit (.net even less so)

Anyway

How did you all learn programming?

Cheers