[Yr7-10it] Scratch, Gamemaker, VB.net, Python, PHP and MySQL - Programming for all levels

Kent Beveridge kbeveridge at stbc.vic.edu.au
Mon Sep 17 18:27:55 EST 2007

Hi Kevork, I kinda agree with you in terms of the approach to learning the topic of computer programming. I, perhaps unlike yourself, didnt come from a pure programming trained background, my training was more focussed on being the 'middleman' in industry between the programmers and the management, kinda like the 'interpreter' I guess. You do however, have a reasonably valid point about the learning of languages these days. Personally, I think the kids have me a 'gimme now or else' approach. In some ways, the courses developed have 'catered' for that approach, and that has I feel, led to perhaps some of the lacking in the IT industry relative to what is being 'churned out' by education institutions now. Dont misunderstand please, they are just bound by what the powers that be TELL them to teach, rather than what the market actually NEEDS.
Short courses and instant qualifications seem to be the go! (if you can afford the 10 grand or so..)
Sorry, I'm a bit of a traditionalist and this attitude of teens who just want the internet and game playing, gets up my nose.
Pity bout the small businesses out there who try to get a new staffer who can type, add and subtract efficiently and correctly, has the ability to pick up a basic system of filing and can maybe use the office computer to enter data. Its a bonus if they can 'follow instructions', pay attention for more than 10 minutes, and stay employed for more than 3 months!  Dont even think about asking them to make you a coffee!!
This is not fantasy, before some of you jump up and down, this is actually FACT!
And NO, this is not an IR bashing exercise either. (that topic is irrelevent!)

Its now that time when subject selection is being made. My gut feeling is that since I dont 'pander' to the kids (ie be their best buddy or let them play games all the time!), they decide to put IT down low on their list of choices. Hey, its their loss I say. The IT industry has lots of opportunities if future staff are just prepared to do a little training and just hang in there. They dont just want someone who is able to play adventure games all day or playstation!

Before some of you start to call me a 'dinosaur', I'm all for multi-skilling our kids, in fact I actively encourage it. I enjoy the IT classroom but it still annoys me that games seem to be the central focus of attention to many.

Sorry, got carried away....
KB.

Kent Beveridge,
I.T. co-ordinator
St. Brigids Catholic Sec. College
Horsham
email.. kbeveridge at stbc.vic.edu.au

|<3|\|7  b3\/3r1D93 ?  ;-)

Wishes and Eggs, one you make and one you break!  A bit like promises.....
"This email and any attachments may be confidential.  You must not disclose or use the information in this email if you are not the intended recipient.  If you have received this email in error, please notify us immediately and delete the email and all copies.  The School does not guarantee that this email is virus or error free.  The attached files are provided and my only be used on the basis that the user assumes all responsibility for any loss, damage or consequence resulting directly or indirectly from the use of the attached files, whether caused by the negligence of the sender or not.  The content and opinions in this email are not necessarily those of the School."