[Yr7-10it] Gamemaker assessment task

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 08:38:10 EST 2007

VELS Bingo Russell! If you add other activities around the programming
activitity, you can create a string of very rich Info Tech lessons,
chockablock full of suitable assessment points and activities that nicely
fit into the VELS ICT domain.

Last year when I ran our programming lesson with GameMaker, students
sketched out and scanned their plans, blogged about their learning
experiences, reflected on their problems with some discussion forms, added
to a collaborative wiki then we finished creating some movies with voice
overs that demonstrated their final games, all inside the authenticated
environment of Moodle. You can see some samples of this work on the VCAA
website.

No, I didnt have all the programming answers to their problems but it was
fun to work out how to solve these together. Once we got past the initial
stepwise tutorial and learned how to use the software, the rest of the
activity scaffolding that I set in place supported a constructivist and
collaborative model for learning with increasing emphasis on self direction
and learning.

Whilst I have an eye on some of the exciting stuff that is happening with
VPython etc, for now I am happy to run along with the mix of GameMaker and
Moodle.

Regards Roland

http://www.westallsc.vic.edu.au