[Yr7-10it] Gamemaker assessment task

Kevork Krozian Kroset at novell1.fhc.vic.edu.au
Thu Mar 22 15:41:22 EST 2007

Hi Folks,

    Having just calmed down after the euphoria of discovering I had a junior IT class this year for the first time since 1990, I decided to give them 3 learning activities with Gamemaker :
        1. Catch the clown ( tutorial on the gamemaker site )
        2. Devilishly Easy ( Ch 2 in The Game Maker's Apprentice textbook ISBN 1-59059-615-3 )
        3. Wingman Sam  ( Ch 9 in The Game Maker's Apprentice textbook ISBN 1-59059-615-3 )

 To be honest the students did struggle a bit with the last task but we survived.  However, students have been lining up at recess and lunchtime just for the chance to get in and do games programming !!!

 What about assessment  ?

  I have decided to mirror the Wingman Sam game as a Tank game with 2 tanks going over the desert using/modifying some of the sprites from the Ch 10 resources in the Game Maker's Apprentice textbook.

 I have created the assessment marking sheet to see how many of the skills students will be able to duplicate. I have attached this for your information . Take it or leave it , use it or modify it as you please.

I will give this to the students the first day back next term and see how they go . As always comments are welcome.

Best Wishes