[Technical] Staff personal laptops

Greg Neil (Mr) greg at stmargarets.vic.edu.au
Fri Jan 23 16:11:42 EST 2009

First and foremost they must have a reliable, frequently updated (and if commercial, valid and currently subscribed) anti-virus application, or they don't get on the network. Assuming they meet this basic criteria, and have a suitable OS/hardware/drivers (has to be able to connect to a domain/support 802.1x wireless security), we will put them on the network. It must come to us with all the correct drivers installed. They can also purchase licenses for appropriate software if necessary, which we will install. After that it is best efforts (which are usually pretty good), so long as they are happy to live with any other restrictions we have (for example, we do not allow access to external POP3 email from inside the network). As we are a notebook school, and provide all full-time and most part-time staff with notebooks, this is the exception rather than the rule, so the burden is not so great. Once set up we find that most staff members are pretty good and need minimal ongoing support.

Students who choose to purchase their own laptops rather than use the school leasing program are another matter entirely. . . . .

Cheers

Greg Neil

Computer Systems Manager
St Margaret's School, Berwick