[Technical] Linux at a Sydney school

Jim Maunder techo at ruyton.vic.edu.au
Thu Mar 23 13:00:13 EST 2006

At 12:21 PM 23/03/2006, Con  wrote:

>On Thu, Mar 23, 2006 at 12:13:30PM +1100, Clark, Ian C wrote:

You could also achieve a large reduction in desktop support costs by
allowing only girls in the computer labs.  Not really a practical solution.

Seriously we have XP desktops that are not 'locked down', and all I
have to do is re-image them every term break to tidy them up. There
is never any damage, hardly ever any naughty wallpaper, hardly ever
any mangled software etc. I go in the labs maybe once a week, and
that is usually to help a kid with software or logging in. The rest
of the time I have 500 lappies to look after, and that does not keep
me busy most of the time.

btw just an attempt at levity while the teachers and stewnce are away.

We have to use this Disclaimer

Views, opinions, etc. expressed reflect those of the author and not
Ruyton Girls' School

Jim Maunder
Ruyton Girls School
Melbourne, Australia