[Technical] Linux at a Sydney school

Con Zymaris conz at cyber.com.au
Thu Mar 23 12:21:52 EST 2006

On Thu, Mar 23, 2006 at 12:13:30PM +1100, Clark, Ian C wrote:

> [...]

As I said, yes they have. But there's more leeway towards substantial OSS
uptake in independent schools.

> And the last Department deployment to all State schools was a Linux
> RADIUS server, (which I was happily involved in its testing and
> support).

Yes, and it's worked like a charm. Now, if they did that with 2,000 file
and print server, there's several million saved in licence costs alone.

Then start looking at reducing those desktop support calls by replacing
those Windows desktops with locked down Linux. We can show a 90% reduction
in desktop support costs by taking this single step. Go figure.

> > Yes, no doubt, Microsoft has most of you by the short and twirlies ;-)
>
> I just love this idea that you know better than the IT departments in
> companies and other organizations, Con, and better than the home user.
> Every purchase they make is a decision that suits their individual
> circumstances, not necessarily your ideology.

This is IT management and groupthink procurement. Most purchases and most
decision that are made are made through fear, lack of complete knowledge
and intellectual laziness. You know it. I know it.

Cheers,

Con Zymaris

- CEO, Cybersource Pty. Ltd.
- Director, Open Source Industry Australia, Limited.
- Convenor, Open Source Victoria (A Government-funded industry cluster.)