[Technical] File List rather than icon displaywhenbrowsingdirectories

Con Zymaris conz at cyber.com.au
Fri Jul 29 12:27:57 EST 2005

On Fri, Jul 29, 2005 at 12:23:16PM +1000, Stephen Digby DEET wrote:
> I used to have a navigation guide to the intranet that loaded in a browser on staff login and directed them to the most commonly
> used destinations on the intranet.
> It used to display folders in icon view initially but allowed them to switch to list view when they had "arrived".
> They could then navigate as they wished with windows explorer.
> Now they only get the icon view (where they can't read most of the file names, and can't change the view as internet explorer
> doesn't have this option.
>
> CMS can't help me UNLESS I import the whole 100Gb of files and then prevent teachers "pasting" data and force them to "upload" it
> through the CMS ("moodle" interface).
> Addition downside of having all data (rather than specific current course data) in the CMS is that it is then only accessible
> through the CMS and not able to be easily browsed and searched through the file system.

Have you though about using a WebDAV system?

 http://www.opengroupware.org/screens/webdav/

It will overlay atop your existing 100GB and provide a method of accessing
and modifying those files via a web-interface or through client-apps.

Cheers,

Con Zymaris, Convenor
Open Source Victoria
http://www.osv.org.au/