[Technical] Backup Assist

Grant Frazer gfrazer at fintona.vic.edu.au
Fri Jul 29 12:07:05 EST 2005

Hi Ian thanks for the speedy reply,

Unfortunately the NT Backup utility built into Windows doesn't support
the use of the Iomega REV drives and causes numerous errors.  There is a
simple work around where we could create a script to backup the Exchange
files to a server location and then instruct the REV drive to collect
the files and then email the results to the ICT department using BLAT.
Unfortunately this is not an option for us as we are trying to keep the
process simple so that any staff member can follow some simple step by
step instructions on maintaining the backups in the event of the ICT
department being MIA.

I do agree that using Exmerge is great, especially for brick level
backups, but in our particular situation this does not help us as we
still have REV drive problems.  I do admit that by trying to cut down
our backup media costs by using a non standard backup media we have
caused ourselves a few minor issues but nothing to drastic.   The Iomega
REV drive does come with its own basic backup utility but it was very
problematic thus our search for other compatible products.  We have been
using CA Arcserve with the REV drive but we have an issue with the tape
engine locking the drive making it impossible to eject a tape without
first disconnecting the power to the drive and then quickly pushing the
eject button before it fully initialises.  Of course Windows 2000 isn't
as comfortable with the removal of USB devices as XP/2003 is.

The Backup Assist demo seems to handle the REV drive quite well but we
are concerned with the programs ability to keep soldiering on and doing
its job.

We would be interested to know of any other programs that are simple and
can support the REV drive as we would prefer to use what have as opposed
to buying another LTO drive.  Any further comments are always greatly
appreciated.

Many Thanks,

Grant Frazer
Information and Communication Technologies Manager
Fintona Girls School
79 Balwyn Rd,
Balwyn, VIC, 3103
Ph +61 3 98301388
Fax. +61 3 98885682
<http://www.fintona.vic.edu.au>

The information contained in this e-mail message and any attached files
may be confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient
any
use, disclosure or copying of this e-mail is unauthorized. If you have
received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by
reply e-mail and delete all copies of this transmission together with
any
attachments.