[Technical] Backup Assist

Clark, Ian C clark.ian.c at edumail.vic.gov.au
Fri Jul 29 11:08:46 EST 2005

________________________________

	From: tech-bounces at edulists.com.au
[mailto:tech-bounces at edulists.com.au] On Behalf Of Grant Frazer
	Sent: Friday, 29 July 2005 10:29 AM
	To: tech at fhc.vic.edu.au
	Subject: [Technical] Backup Assist

	Hi All,

	I am reviewing cheaper alternatives to Computer Associates
ARCserve for our Exchange server backups.  I have come across a program
called "Backup Assist" which supports most tape media including Iomega
REV drives and its price is about 1/10th of what Computer Associates
would charge for education.  I was wondering if anyone has had any
experience with this program and could possibly provide feedback as to
whether it is suitable product for what we are attempting to do.

_____________________________

Hi Grant,

As you know, the backup utility in Windoze can do basic stuff - and it's
the cheapest alternative of all!

You can automatically or manually run the backup from another server
(http://www.petri.co.il/backup_exchange_from_non_exchange_server.htm )
and if you want to save individual mailboxes to PST files you can do
that too for no additional cost
(http://www.petri.co.il/brick_level_backup_of_mailboxes_by_using_exmerge
.htm ).

Of course, there might be some feature in ArcServer or BackupExec you
really love, so you shell out the bikkies for it.

Cheers,
Clarky
TSP Surrey Hills Subnetwork

Important -