[Year 12 SofDev] Exam questions / format

Philip Feain feainp at stkevins.vic.edu.au
Mon Aug 1 16:48:17 AEST 2016

Hi Adrian

I am a little confused with your concerns over the number of questions for
Sections B and C on your Practice Papers. If you look at the papers over
the last Study Design, as well as this year's Sample Exam they all seem
pretty similar:

2011     Section B was 6 questions and Section C was 16 questions
2012     Section B was 5 questions and Section C was 16 questions
2013     Section B was 6 questions and Section C was 15 questions
2014     Section B was 5 questions and Section C was 16 questions
2015     Section B was 5 questions and Section C was 15 questions
and the Sample     Section B was 7 questions and Section C was 15 questions

Looking at the examination specifications for this Study Design it just
states the marks and doesn't state anything about the number of questions.

I don't think that it's a major issue regarding the number of questions, so
long as you don't have too many questions that are only a few marks. You
would want to have a similar balance to the VCAA onesas well as meeting the
exam specifications. Does that sound OK?

Cheers

Phil.

On Mon, Aug 1, 2016 at 10:45 AM, Adrian Janson <janson.adrian.a at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I was reading back over the email I sent last night and realised that what
> I wrote may have been misleading? The number of marks in the SD exam paper
> hasn't really changed - nor has the number of questions. I simply noticed
> in writing my sample papers that there are less questions in section B and
> now more in section C. If you use the 1 mark / minute model, the exam
> shouldn't take students longer to complete at all.
>
> I was reflecting on the sections themselves - and felt that with more
> questions (as opposed to marks) in section C, that the difficulty *may* be
> increased? What do others think?
>
> Cheers,
> Adrian

> Authority and
> Teachers Association Inc

Phil Feain

*Head of eLearning*
*Head of Information Technology*
*St. Kevin's College*

--
This email message does not represent the view of St Kevins College, is
intended only for the addressee(s) and contains information that may be