[Year 12 SofDev] CSE/IARTV Exam

Mark mark at vceit.com
Sun Oct 6 10:17:26 EST 2013

Hi Claudia. Hope you're enjoying the exam marking.

re. question 5b, a short integer is defined in the question, so students do
know what it can contain.

On 5 October 2013 21:39, Claudia Graham <
claudia.graham at overnewton.vic.edu.au> wrote:

>  Hi all,
>

> Yes madly trying to correct student practice exams that were done this
> week, I used the CSE/IARTV one (only because it tends to throw a few curve
> balls which I can then clarify with students)
>

> Other than being transported back to the ’90 with Star Trek references, I
> was a little confused by Q5b. It listed data types which are not in the SD
> study design (which I’m generally ok with as students should know the list)
> however, uses one of those as the expected answer – short integer
>

> Study Design lists integer, floating point number, Boolean, character,
> string – of course ITA has a slightly different list more reflective of
> database terminology.
>

> I know I’m splitting hairs when it comes to integer and short integer but
> it makes it darn hard to mark – having told the kids I would only accepts
> data types on the list has now forced them to answer incorrectly with
> floating point number.**
>

> Same issue with Q6b which accepts text as data type – double checked
> assessors report (’11) and it states only responses from SD list will be
> accepted.
>

> Also Q5f in the paper lists 5 marks for a brief description of a sorting
> technique (even Wikipedia would be struggling with that one) – be aware in
> the answers it is listed as 3 marks.
>

> Also have some concerns about the last question which asks about *system*evaluation and
> *system* testing – it suggests checking to see if the system is achieving
> *organisation goals* and testing is about *system goals – *this is very
> reminiscent of the late ’90. Would suggest answers about evaluation
> criteria, functional/non-functional requirements etc would be more
> appropriate. As this is the only question about evaluation (or U402 I
> think) it does limit discussion on an area students appear to struggle in.
> I will be getting mine in class to write a couple of additional answers
> about user documentation, training, evaluation strategy and techniques.
>

> We have been working through VITTA ones in class and the 2011 VCAA paper,
> last year’s paper is next week’s task – only 4 classes left before they
> leave!
>

> Regards
>
> Claudia
>
> * *

> Claudia Graham
>
> VCE Coordinator
>
> 9334 0049 (direct)
>

>  ------------------------------
>
> OVERNEWTON ANGLICAN COMMUNITY COLLEGE
> *T* +61 3 9334 0000 *W* www.overnewton.vic.edu.au
>
> *KEILOR CAMPUS* 2-30 Overnewton Road Keilor, Victoria, 3036 | *F* +61 3
> 9336 1835
> *TAYLORS LAKES CAMPUS* 39 - 57 Robertsons Road Taylors Lakes, Victoria,
> 3038 | *F* +61 3 9390 5144
>
> A dual campus, coeducational Prep to Year 12 school. Delivering
> consistently high academic results in Melbourne's North West for over 25
> years.
> [...]

mark AT vceit DOT com
http://vceit.com

Day 19, I have successfully conditioned my master to smile and write in his
book every time I drool.- Pavlov's Dog