[Year 12 SofDev] CSE/IARTV Exam

Claudia Graham claudia.graham at overnewton.vic.edu.au
Sat Oct 5 21:39:03 EST 2013

Hi all,

Yes madly trying to correct student practice exams that were done this week, I used the CSE/IARTV one (only because it tends to throw a few curve balls which I can then clarify with students)

Other than being transported back to the '90 with Star Trek references, I was a little confused by Q5b. It listed data types which are not in the SD study design (which I'm generally ok with as students should know the list) however, uses one of those as the expected answer - short integer

Study Design lists integer, floating point number, Boolean, character, string - of course ITA has a slightly different list more reflective of database terminology.

I know I'm splitting hairs when it comes to integer and short integer but it makes it darn hard to mark - having told the kids I would only accepts data types on the list has now forced them to answer incorrectly with floating point number.

Same issue with Q6b which accepts text as data type - double checked assessors report ('11) and it states only responses from SD list will be accepted.

Also Q5f in the paper lists 5 marks for a brief description of a sorting technique (even Wikipedia would be struggling with that one) - be aware in the answers it is listed as 3 marks.

Also have some concerns about the last question which asks about system evaluation and system testing - it suggests checking to see if the system is achieving organisation goals and testing is about system goals - this is very reminiscent of the late '90. Would suggest answers about evaluation criteria, functional/non-functional requirements etc would be more appropriate. As this is the only question about evaluation (or U402 I think) it does limit discussion on an area students appear to struggle in. I will be getting mine in class to write a couple of additional answers about user documentation, training, evaluation strategy and techniques.

We have been working through VITTA ones in class and the 2011 VCAA paper, last year's paper is next week's task - only 4 classes left before they leave!

Regards
Claudia

Claudia Graham
VCE Coordinator
9334 0049 (direct)

OVERNEWTON ANGLICAN COMMUNITY COLLEGE
T +61 3 9334 0000 W www.overnewton.vic.edu.au<http://www.overnewton.vic.edu.au>

KEILOR CAMPUS 2-30 Overnewton Road Keilor, Victoria, 3036 | F +61 3 9336 1835
TAYLORS LAKES CAMPUS 39 - 57 Robertsons Road Taylors Lakes, Victoria, 3038 | F +61 3 9390 5144

A dual campus, coeducational Prep to Year 12 school. Delivering consistently high academic results in Melbourne's North West for over 25 years.
2013 College Theme | iRespect

Consider the environment before choosing to print this email.