[Year 12 SofDev] Context diagrams - employees as external entities

Mark KELLY kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
Thu Aug 16 12:56:48 EST 2012

Thanks, Kevork.

I can see both situations arising...

The employee could be an external entity if he/she works in the
organisation but is not part of the processing in a process and only
interacts with it as an outsider. e.g. An employee submitting a request for
reimbursement to the accounting department is not part of the processes
within the accounting department, so would be an external entity.

But if the employee participated in carrying out one or more of the
processes within a system, their work should be part of the system and they
would not be an external entity.

As I read it, the employees in the case study in question are very much
involved in carrying out the processes within the system.