[Opensource] New developer demographics

Brett Groves groves.brett.g at edumail.vic.gov.au
Sun Apr 18 22:09:07 EST 2010

Well I guess PHP is platform agnostic as long as the web server is
compatible but in addition MySQL is just so darn powerful and incredibly
adaptable, throw in Apache and for web development what else could you
need and all completely free. Even beyond that, the resources those
three eat are so minimal that even an ancient PC can (and certainly has
over here at times!) act as a quite resilient web server. Why would
anyone bother to mess around with ASP and .NET other than the old
refrain of "that's what we're used to!"? The beauty of all three is that
if you want something to do just about anything you can think of to
customise their operation then chances are someone out there has written
something robust to do the job and would only like a modest and well
deserved donation in return.

The fact that Linux and OSS are really taking hold in web development
(and elsewhere) fills me with hope beyond the scope of their
functionality. In this world of creeping velvet fascism and spiralling
inequality, both online and off, it is inspiring to know that products
that embody the very essence of democracy and unprejudiced access are
succeeding with new generations of uber-geeks.

My 2c anyhow and BTW why did you have your arm up a Kangaroo's bum at
ACEC Roland??? WT?

Brett Groves