[Offtopic] Facebook and staff productivity

Stephen Digby digby.stephen.p at edumail.vic.gov.au
Tue Apr 22 11:40:17 EST 2008

Dear Jim,
Still stirring the possum.
I am sitting here in a legal limbo - at school but on strike ! (Home to far
away - waste of time and planetary resources to go there).

So let's ramble....

Many teachers do indeed have a slack approach to the working day.  We forget
that lunch is 30 min, morning recess has no status as a break, attendance
requires us to be at school till about 4.36 each day... And that 7 weeks
paid holiday is a lot Etc.
Many of us compensate for this through a guilt that permeates the evenings,
weekends and sometimes holidays and results in an overcompensation of time
committed.  Many others don't.
Thus what can be done during "normal working hours" is not a true measure of
what can be done.
Thus curriculum managers, administrators, ministry boffins are free to
develop policies, procedures and blueprints and such that have no hope in
hell of being implemented within a normal workload - this is even AFTER
putting in those extra hours at home.
This is not unique to teaching. Many jobs have been redefined over past
decades without completion time estimates. Performance measures increasingly
imply that tasks need to be completed by an employee "whatever it takes".
Failure to complete initiates a cycle of staff evaluation and eventually
replacement with someone that won't complain that the demands are
unreasonable (or indeed that the procedures ineffective, the policies stupid
etc).

As teachers we would do well to build more and more of our work into the day
and less and less into the nights, weekends and holidays.  We would do well
to accept the diminution of our holidays as long as the job made only
reasonable demands on our time during the working weeks.  Schools would be
more effective places if teachers stopped patching the incredibly
ineffective and inefficient curriculum structures, administrative procedures
and policy mazes.  We do not serve the profession or ourselves by
continually allowing the role of teacher to be widened.  In this wider role,
the parts that parents use to evaluate us attract less and less of our time
and energy. The parts that our paymasters use to evaluate teachers and
schools become larger and correlate less with the parent view.
Serve both and you will lose more and more of your night.
Serve parents and you will be continually disappointing the paymaster's
performance targets.
Serve the paymaster and the parents may reconsider their enrolment......

Stephen Digby, Learning Technology Manager
mailto: digby.stephen.p at edumail.vic.gov.au
Cheltenham Secondary College www.cheltsec.vic.edu.au
Ph: 613 955 55 955  Fx: 9555 8617 Mb: 0431-701-028

New York now leads the world's great cities in the number of people around
whom you shouldn't make a sudden move. David Letterman (1947   )