[Offtopic] Facebook and staff productivity

Jim Maunder techo at ruyton.vic.edu.au
Mon Apr 21 16:42:57 EST 2008

Hello Roland -

I was addressing teachers in general when I wrote the 'do you permit
...' jibe.

What I was trying to get at was that most office workers only have
'free time' during their lunch break. On the other hand I know
teachers who work on school stuff from 7.30am to 7.30pm or later at
school (even though the majority are gone by 3.30)

Personally, I find that engaging in banter with students to be
dangerous, but that does not stop me, it just makes me very careful.
Our canteen does excellent chips on Fridays.

rgds
Jim

At 04:05 PM 21/04/2008, you wrote:
>G'day Jim
>
>During lunchtime I play cards (educational versions of course) with
>the students, share an ice slurpy from the canteen (healthy fruity
>version of course) and have a social, non-educational banter about
>what they did over the weekend or how they are going.
>
>If some staff or students politely ask if they can check their
>personal e-mail, I generally wave them over to a nearby computer. If I
>have any doubts about staff online behavior, a reminder that this is a
>G-Rated school is generally sufficient. Students get the evil eye.
>
>Regards Roland
>
>On 21/04/2008, Jim Maunder <techo at ruyton.vic.edu.au> wrote:
>
> >  Do you permit your students to read the papers, check their MySpace, sit
> > around drinking coffee and chatting in class like teachers might in a
> > typical staffroom?
>

>--
>Roland Gesthuizen - ICT Coordinator - Westall Secondary College
>http://www.westallsc.vic.edu.au
>
>"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can
>change the world; indeed it is the only thing that ever has."
>--Margaret Mead

We have to use this Disclaimer

This message, including any attachments, is provided without
responsibility in law for its accuracy or otherwise and without
assumption of a duty of care by the School. Whilst every attempt has
been made to ensure material in this email message is free from
computer viruses or other defects, the attached files are provided,
and may only be used, on the basis that the user assumes all
responsibility for use of the material transmitted. This email is
intended for the use of the named individual or entity and may
contain confidential and privileged information. Any dissemination,
distribution or copying by anyone other than the intended recipient
of this email is strictly prohibited. If this email has been
received in error, then please notify Ruyton Girls' School
immediately and destroy the original message.

Views, opinions, etc. expressed reflect those of the author and not
Ruyton Girls' School

Jim Maunder
Ruyton Girls School
Melbourne, Australia