[Year 12 IT Apps] MMOS data collection and validation

Mark mark at vceit.com
Thu Sep 3 14:23:32 AEST 2015

Actually, it was "Cancer  <https://xkcd.com/925/>
​
causes cell phones <https://xkcd.com/925/>", but yes, it was great for
Informatics.

I included that cartoon in one of my Informatics textbook chapters, but I'm
not sure if Cengage ended up agreeing to pay to license it.

But (knowing my editor is a member of this list - Hi e!) I'll not go into
details about permissions.

Cheers
Mark

On 3 September 2015 at 14:08, Laurie Savage <08327998 at pvgc.vic.edu.au>
wrote:

> My favourite weird question was "On a scale of 1 to 5, what is your
> favorite number?" I'm guessing he will be able to use these data to create
> a hypothesis like "
> ​​
> Mobile phones cause brain tumours" (an earlier sketch of his).
>
> Laurie
>
> Laurie Savage
> https://sites.google.com/a/pvgc.vic.edu.au/mr-savage/home
>
> On 3 September 2015 at 12:54, Mark <mark at vceit.com> wrote:
>
>> ​Hi, data miners
>>
>> Next year, the Informatics kids will be expected to gather authentic data
>> for their MMOS (multimodal online solution).
>>
>> Today's XKCD includes a Google survey to find 'weird correlations'.
>>
>> One question asks how good a speller you are on a scale from 1 to 5.
>>
>> Quite cunningly, another question asks you which of these words you know
>> - and there's a list of about 20 obscure words... some of which I strongly
>> suspect do not exist.
>>
>> Fakers or liars will probably indicate they 'know' some words that are
>> known to not exist, thereby giving a self-diagnosis of the honesty of their
>> answers.
>>
>> I thought it was quite a clever method of validating survey data.
>>
>> ​Try it yourself - it's fun.

>> http://xkcd.com/1572/
>>

>> --
>>
>> Mark Kelly
>>

>> --

​
A man doesn't automatically get my respect. He has to get down in the dirt
and beg for it. (Jack Handey)

Mark Kelly

mark at vceit.com
http://vceit.com