[Year 12 IT Apps] ITA 2013 post mortem - Part A

Mark mark at vceit.com
Thu Nov 7 11:42:14 EST 2013

On 7 November 2013 11:07, Vear, Gary D <vear.gary.d at edumail.vic.gov.au>wrote:

> if we accept the textbook classification of online communities.

Do we? If you are referring specifically to the Potts textbook's
classification, remember that no textbook is gospel.

The study design says in U3O1 KK 1, "types and purposes of online
communities including social, work-based, project/interest-based that
support the purposes of collaboration, knowledge sharing and collective
identity."

This is actually ambiguous. Does it it mean ...

"types and purposes of online communities including
(i) social,
(ii) work-based,
(iii) project/interest-based that support the purposes of collaboration,
knowledge sharing and collective identity."

Or does it mean...

"types and purposes of online communities including
(i) social,
(ii) work-based,
(iii) project/interest-based
that *(all)* support the purposes of collaboration, knowledge sharing and
collective identity."

I read it the second way.

Did you read it the first way?

If you read it the first way, it implies that *only* a
project/interest-based community supports collaboration, knowledge sharing
and collective identity!
Neither the social nor work-based communities have need of these things.
That does not make a lot of sense to me.

Perhaps Paula can clarify the interpretation of the KK.

mark AT vceit DOT com
http://vceit.com

Day 19, I have successfully conditioned my master to smile and write in his
book every time I drool.- Pavlov's Dog