[Year 12 IT Apps] ITA 2013 post mortem - Part A

Vear, Gary D vear.gary.d at edumail.vic.gov.au
Thu Nov 7 12:30:14 EST 2013

Hi Mark,

I'm not sure where the need for clarification comes from.

It seems to me that both the study design and textbook clearly refer to types of online communities in the same way, with each source including the following three:
(1) social,
(2) professional/work-based and
(3) project/interest-based.

In turn, each of these three types of communities supports, to varying degrees, three main purposes:
(1) collaboration,
(2) knowledge sharing, and
(3) collective identity.

Since answer D (knowledge-sharing) to question 1 is a purpose (and not a type) of online communities, it can safely be ruled out as a potential answer.

The question specifically asks for a "type of online community." Only A (social) and C (project-based) represent types of online communities as expressed in the study design and textbook, so it comes down to a choice between them. Given the scenario, C strikes me as the best alternative.