[Year 12 IT Apps] TJX Hacker Gets 20 Years in Prison

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Sun Mar 28 10:41:05 EST 2010

I was curious too about the difference and Donna does raise an interesting
point so I did some background reading to unpeel Hacking vs Cracking. I'll
openly acknowledge that it is a hot language debate going on with malicious
connotations floating about in this brew.

>From what I can read, a hacker is one who hacks, in the context of a
computer this can be by circumventing its security system. Not entirely evil
if we read up about the work by "white hats" and the more obscure "grey
hats". There are others who enjoy making innovative customizations or
combinations of retail electronic and computer equipment. This is also
described as hacking and it doesnt have to involve bypassing security codes,
installing mod chips etc. Crikey, my adaptation of a wiimote to play a game
(still rather badly) on my computer or its adaptation as an interactive
whiteboard tool is hacking .. so is the RACV chap who "hacked" into my car
to recover my keys. His work was godly, worthy of a thousands blessings and
a beer.

We all know the great job that the media does to educate and inform the
public (tongue firmly pressed in cheek) that the public is hugely unaware
that different meanings exist. Considering that computer security experts
embrace all these different uses of the word "hackers", we should similarly
disassociate security breakers as "crackers", a term that is analogous to a
safecracker. I don't mince words. As I remind my students:

   - Glance into my open lunchbox? You were probably just curious. I should
   have closed it and you should immediately tell me when you noticed that it
   was open.
   - Steal my lunch without my knowledge or permission? You are a thief!
   - I will share a slice with anybody who is hungry but only if they ask me
   nicely FIRST!

Regards Roland

http://www.westallsc.vic.edu.au