[Year 12 IT Apps] TJX Hacker Gets 20 Years in Prison

Mark KELLY kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
Sun Mar 28 17:33:14 EST 2010

Hi all.  English teacher speaking.  (Not a claim of expertise; just a
declaration of bias)

The movie 'War Games' forever broke the innocent original interpretation of
'hacker'.  I regret the change, just like I regret not being allowed to be
(in the happy sense) 'gay' or use the word 'cum' (in its Latin sense, not
its XXX sense).

'Cracker' would be considered a post hoc attempt to resurrect 'hacker' in
its original sense.  I fear the battle is already lost; 99% of the
population simply does not know or care about the difference: and they win.

English vocabulary is only defined by its current popular usage.  Love it or
loathe it, "alright" will become a legitimate word, "whom" will only be used
by people who don't know when to use it properly, and apostrophes are so
tortured by misuse that it would be kinder to drown them and end their
suffering.

Americanisms like 'color' and 'aluminum' (with the missing final "i" - a
fascinating lesson in industrial history for those who know it) will
continue to infect the rotting corpse of Australian vocabulary until even
pedants such as I (who know when to say "I" instead of "me") have to stop
and think about what is "correct".

And don't get me started on the demise of colons and semicolons.

Sigh.  We may rage against the dying of the light, but realise that there
are still people railing against "tomorrow" instead of "to-morrow".

And even I have started the vile act of verbing nouns...

School Phone +613 8520 9000
School Fax +613 9578 9253
kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au