[Year 12 IT Apps] RE: WHO IS 'Gung Ho'?

Stephen Digby digby.stephen.p at edumail.vic.gov.au
Thu Jun 21 08:56:17 EST 2007

Gung-ho

>From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(Redirected from Gung  <http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=3DGung_Ho&=
redirect=3Dno> Ho)
Jump to: navigation <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gung_Ho#column-one> , sear=
ch <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gung_Ho#searchInput>

For other uses, see Gung-ho  <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gung-ho_%28disamb=
iguation%29> (disambiguation)

Gung-ho is a phrase borrowed from Chinese language <http://en.wikipedia.org/=
wiki/Chinese_language> , frequently used in Chinese <http://en.wikipedia.org=
/wiki/Chinese_language>  as an adjective meaning enthusiastic. The original=
 Mandarin Chinese <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandarin_language>  phrase i=
s G=C5=8Dngh=C3=A9 (=E5=B7=A5=E5=90=88), a standard abbreviation for g=C5=8D=
ngy=C3=A8 h=C3=A9zu=C3=B2sh=C3=A8 (=E5=B7=A5=E6=A5=AD=E5=90=88=E4=BD=9C=E7=
=A4=BE), meaning industrial worker's cooperative, first established in Baoji=
 <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baoji>  by Rewi Alley <http://en.wikipedia.or=
g/wiki/Rewi_Alley>  and his comrades and later spread to other parts of Chin=
a during the WW2 years. (It is true that g=C5=8Dng means work and h=C3=A9 me=
ans together, but g=C5=8Dngh=C3=A9 by itself is not a standard Chinese term=
 and serves only as an abbreviation for g=C5=8Dngy=C3=A8 h=C3=A9zu=C3=B2sh=
=C3=A8: an English-language analogy of a not-fully-comprehensible abbreviate=
d phrase would be "IndCoop"; in some contemporary English texts, "Indusco" h=
ad been used.)

The phrase entered the American vernacular when it was picked up by then-Maj=
or Evans F. Carlson <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evans_F._Carlson> , USMC <=
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USMC> . According to Carlson, it was used as a=
 slogan <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slogan>  by the WW2 <http://en.wikiped=
ia.org/wiki/World_War_II> -era Communist Party of  <http://en.wikipedia.org/=
wiki/Communist_Party_of_China> China's 8th Route Army <http://en.wikipedia.o=
rg/wiki/8th_Route_Army> , led by Zhu De <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zhu_De=
> .

The phrase was originally coined by Rewi Alley <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki=
/Rewi_Alley> , a New Zealander who went to China in the 1920s and whose cont=
ribution to the country was later recognized when he became modern China's f=
irst honorary citizen. The industrial workers co-operatives that were formed=
 as part of the Gung-ho movement stemmed from Helen Foster (Peg) Snow, wife=
 of American journalist Edgar Snow <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edgar_Snow>=
 . Peg Snow suggested to Rewi Alley that China needed widespread industry th=
rough the establishment of a movement (Alley, 1987).

Carlson traveled with the 8th and with Rewi Alley. Later he used gung ho dur=
ing his (unconventional) command of the 2nd Marine Raider  <http://en.wikipe=
dia.org/wiki/Marine_Raiders> Battalion. From there it spread throughout the=
 Marine Corps (hence the association between the two) and into American soci=
ety as a whole. It is now often used in the ironic sense of excessively enth=
usiastic, overzealous.

  _____