[Year 12 Its] 2006 exam post mortem

David Dawson dgdawson at mgs.vic.edu.au
Mon Nov 13 13:20:48 EST 2006

 Thanks Mark and Kevork for making this exam more easily understood.
The only thing I might add to this discussion is for the implementation
strategy mentioned in Section B Qn 13.
It would seem from the question that the desired answer is "pilot".
However, when you think about it IMHO a pilot is not an "implementation
strategy" as after it is tested it still needs to be implemented - and
if it is used in a small section of a network and then expanded
throughout - then it is indistinguishable from "phased implementation".
(I might be shaking the foundations here a little.)
If a pilot was trialled outside of the system - as a much smaller system
- it could still be implemented in the real world using a "direct
cutover" - or in theory, it could be applied in parallel across the
system - hence it could be "parallel" conversion. Or it can be expanded
from use in a part of the system - "phased".
There is nothing in utilising a pilot that determines 'implementation',
I feel.
So IMO the answer in this case should probably be either "pilot" or
"phased" depending on student descriptions.
David Dawson