[Year 12 Its] 2006 exam post mortem

Kevork Krozian kevork at edulists.com.au
Sat Nov 11 11:22:25 EST 2006

Hi Mark,

 Fantastic effort and no we don't have a current coroner except that I would
try to throw in my comments on problematic questions only and we would take
specific questions a little further after discussion. You are welcome to be
the new coroner.

Section A comments I would make :

Q 1 Agree part (b) is ambiguous and type of network can have multiple
descriptions. I felt client/server was my immediate thought due to the
presence of the fileserver. The presence of a modem would indicate a gateway
to an external link ( a WAN link) meaning this office is a LAN. The small
geographic area and interconnected devices would also suggest LAN is a fair
answer. So either LAN or Client/Server network.

Q 3. Switch and modem are totally different devices . A switch concentrates
nodes in a LAN and a modem concentrates different LANs by linking them
creating a WAN. A modem accesses a WAN link.

Your explanations are good Mark, except the statement about " They are
commonly used to split one cable into many cables, like an electrical
powerboard. " when referring to a switch. Your explanation is probably
closer to a hub's definition as a switch does not split one cable but rather
joins a number of separate cables through micro-segmentation at a hardware
level and then breaks the micro segments once the data has finished
transmitting.
A hub is actually one cable inside the box with extended parts to plug in
nodes. So in that sense it does split one cable into many cables. A switch
does not operate that way, hence the efficiency and lack of collisions in
data transmissions.
 I won't get into the digital phone lines and DSLAMs and other technical
aspects of how some modems operate at the digital level. However, it is good
to mention the broadband signal aspect of cable modems which carry a number
of different signals ( data, TV, telephony ) and the modem accesses the data
band.  These are all IMHO.

Q 4.  I would specify the location of each activity. Eg. Virus scanning on
the server would be a service running on a NOS usually provided by a third
party but running as a service. On the client workstation the service would
be provided by the OS of the workstation or even a third party application.
 In the Admin column I would add auditing logs of resource usage, allocation
of resource usage limits eg printing, internet usage.  Since there is only 1
of each required we have plenty to choose from.

Q5. Welcome to the next ambiguous question . As you correctly point out we
don't know when the internet connection was installed. Is it analysis or is
it evaluation ? They should accept both answers.

Q6. b) Since a DFD is a logical diagram ( vs a physical one such as System
Flowchart ) the nature and type of the storage ( HDD, DVD, tape, serial ,
sequential or random access file , or even filing cabinet or manilla
folder ) are not specified. Data store is the right answer without any
qualification.
     c) I would agree with 1 of your data flows from the external entity (
Warehouse ) to the OPS ( online purchasing system overall ).  One rule with
DFDs is that data flows cannot occur directly between external entities -
they must go via a process. So I would send the invoice/receipt data flow
from the warehouse back to the OPS system and the third mark would probably
go to the data flow from the OPS system to the customer. There is an
excellent book(let) covering this with nice gentle exercises ( System
Documentaion Methods by Judy Adams ( Eastern House Tel 92136605 ) good for
DFDs, System Flow Charts, etc ). I use it and love it.

Q7. When are we going to use the correct term for alphanumeric data type in
programming languages as STRING instead of text ?

Q 8. ROM is changeable depending on the way it has been designed to be
changed eg. EEPROM, PROM etc. I guess the Read Only aspect to ROM is really
referring to the user during normal operation of the computer.

Q 9. The worst question in the exam as a router does not make a network more
efficient - only more secure ( this is effectiveness) .  A router does not
save time or effort in the operation of a network , be that for setup of a
router or processing packets as it takes longer for a router to deal with
data ( packets, layer 3 )  then it does for a switch ( frames , layer 2 ). A
router splits up a network . A router is concentration device for different
networks- it joins different networks or splits up networks into multiple
sub-networks. A switch is a LAN concentration device - it connect different
devices into one LAN.
The question does not say anything about a LAN having 2 departments where
one should not see the other. A hierarchical design of a network would have
access group switches concentrating each department's nodes. A number of
these access group switches would be concentrated or connect to a backbone
switch ( probably fibre optic media ) . The router would then come off the
backbone switch or one access group switch as the gateway of the LAN to the
outside world.
 So I would argue a router does not make a large network more efficient. A
backbone switch with access group (departmental ) switches would make a
network more efficient but not a router. A router requires different
addressing schemes for each LAN that is connected to it. I will say more
about this at a later time unless I am gagged.

Q10. Agree wholeheartedly.

 All of the above are my Humble Opinion. I do not intend to harm or upset,
just help.

Welcome again Mark. I look forward to your presence on this list with
enormous enthusiasm.

Best Wishes

Kevork Krozian
Mailing List Creator and Administrator