[Year 12 IPM] uew

Mark Kelly kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
Wed Nov 22 18:02:48 EST 2006

Hi Michael.

Martin, Michael M wrote:
> Re:  2007 IT Assessment Handbook
>
> I have started to work through the minefield of the descriptors for
> ITA.  What the...??????  Can anyone explain what Outcome 2 Task 1 is all
> about?    To quote:   comprehensive analysis of the information problem
> that demonstrates thorough and insightful knowledge about the
> characteristics of collaborative problem-solving and knowledge sharing
> practices of virtual teams.
>
> What does 'virtual teams' refer to?

Virtual teams are defined in the Study Design's glossary: "A group of
people who share knowledge and solve problems using ICT. They may never
meet face-to-face, conducting all communications via electronic means."

> Is it meant that 'knowledge sharing'  requires a separate server set up
> so that students can load their web site and have it available for
> collaborative team interaction?  We may not be able to cater for this at
> our school.

Remember that kids are meant to produce a *prototype* website where they
produce functionality that is within their power, and *simulate* things
that beyond their power (e.g. shopping carts, discussion forums - or
"fora" for pedants out there!).

> I also cannot make sense of the Task 2 descriptor as well.  What
> the...???   As Pauline Hanson would say.   'Please explain'.

Task 2 (which I do not have handy) is where kids evaluate their website
and suggest network requirements, through a test or a written report.
(Unadorned and cut-down) test questions might look something like:

Question 1 - Explain the strengths and limitations of [organisation's]
current system for [doing a task]

Question 2 -  For each evaluation criterion you identified [in the
analysis part of task 1, the prototype] discuss how well your prototype
satisfied the criterion.

Question 3 – Summarise the strengths and limitations of your prototype

Question 4 - What hardware and software would be required by individual
team members to allow them to participate in the virtual team?  Why is
each item needed?

Question 5 – Excluding items discussed in question 4, what hardware and
software is required by your complete solution to enable it to
facilitate and control collaborative problem solving and knowledge
sharing among virtual team members?

Does that help any?

Manager - Information Systems
Direct line / Voicemail: 8520 9085
School Phone +613 8520 9000 << new number!
School Fax   +613 9578 9253

IT Lecture notes: http://vceit.com
Moderator: IPM Mailing List