[Year 12 IPM] music copyright

Donna Benjamin donna at cc.com.au
Thu Nov 2 13:13:14 EST 2006

New Copyright Legislation is currently before Parliament.
http://www.aph.gov.au/senate/committee/legcon_ctte/copyright06/index.htm

Browsing through the current submissions to the legal and constitutional
committee is an interesting exercise that shows the conflicting
interests at work in copyright legislation.
http://www.aph.gov.au/senate/committee/legcon_ctte/copyright06/submissions/sublist.htm

Note there are submissions from Google, and the Copyright Advisory Group
to the Schools Resourcing Taskforce of the MCEETYA, ARIA, and the
Musicians Union of Australia.

Interestingly - a couple of film and video clubs have highlighted the
issue raised below - hobbiest film makers would like to be able to
include audio tracks from CDs they own, but there is currently no way
for them to do so, and so they submit they would like to be able to do
this.

Copying a CD in Australia is an act of Copyright Infringement.
But it is not currently a criminal act.

Once the legislation is passed, copyright infringements will be deemed
criminal, and for the first time, and as the first place in the world we
will have enforcement provisions that carry on the spot fines of $1000
per infringement.

However the new legislation allows some level of format shifting
exceptions which will legitimise copying a CD for use on an iPod for
private and domestic use. There is some concern that this will not
expand to cover student use at school, as that is neither private nor
domestic.

cheers
Donna

--