[Year 12 IPM] RE: Interactive Electronic white boards

Martin, Michael M martin.michael.m at edumail.vic.gov.au
Fri Mar 10 10:47:44 EST 2006

We at Copperfield College have 9 interactive whiteboards over the 3 campuses.  We purchased ours through Electroboard and we bought the middle size at a cost of around $3,000 per board, then the cost of data projectors around the same price, and the wiring up of the rooms.  All up, approx $10,000 per room.  I recently organised a mobile interactive board for around $3,500 and this one is for the use of Administration at meetings etc.  The mobile interactive board runs from a laptop via a USB cable and we just connect a data projector.

I have used the smartboard and found it very useful regarding brainstorming and mindmapping activities.  The advantage is that I can save the files in PDF format or HTML  format and make these available to the students.  The learning focus is on the students and I tell them that the output is their creation; ie this is your work, I tell them and they appreciate ownership

Quite a number of staff at my school like using the smartboards.

Worth contacting suppliers to get an idea of how much it will cost on an individual basis.  I feel you can certainly go cheaper than our school went.

Hope this is helpful

Regards

Michael Martin
Copperfield College