[Year 12 IPM] ITA ('IPM 2007') summary

sav at pvgc.vic.edu.au sav at pvgc.vic.edu.au
Wed Mar 8 10:16:29 EST 2006

Hello Robert,

Thanks for the thoughtful comments, I think that if we can keep this debate productive then we have a strong foundation for the subsequent SD.

"Robert Timmer-Arends" <timmer at melbpc.org.au> on Tue, 7 Mar 2006 20:14:29 +1100 wrote:
> Hello Laurie

> Is there some reason the students can't create their own db using MySQL? If
> not, then surely all criteria can be met. Or am I missing something?

I don't know if you've worked in mySQL at all, but all control of it is via SQL commands - PROGRAMMING! This comes back to the ability of my students. Our IPM students (and I'm sure they aren't unique) are the ones who had problems coding simple HTML in year 11 IT. Set Theory and SQL are completely beyond them, but writing a design brief, creating documentation and discussing project timelines and sequences are not.

> In fact, sounds to me like you could marry U3OC1 and U3OC2 with what you are
> doing (I know it's probably a shotgun wedding but ...)

In fact, that is what I do already - I simply tease apart the criteria I am examining. The students love this section because we are mimicking a full design brief - starting with mock client interviews, discussion of information problems, goals and strategies - and ending up managing sites on a LIVE apache server via FTP. Unit 4, however sends us all up the walls. ;-(

Cheers,

Laurie

---
Laurie Savage