[Year 12 IPM] RE: Interactive Electronic white boards

Diane Peat dpeat at firbank.vic.edu.au
Tue Mar 7 21:18:04 EST 2006

Hi Kathy
Firbank (girls' independent) introduced Promethean IWBs last year and we now
have around 25 in the Senior School and about 8 in each of our junior
schools. We are very happy with them and the take up by teachers (even
reluctant ones) has been fantastic. Students absolutely love them and my IPM
class keeps asking me if we can move rooms to where the IWBs are located (we
can't).

We will complete the rollout to all teaching areas over this Christmas/New
Year period. We looked a a number of boards but felt the Promethean
resources were better than its competitors and they have an enormous number
of resources via the web (mainly free of charge). Teachers need training,
support, training, time, training, assistance, training ... you get the
picture. It's not enough just to throw them into the rooms and let the
teachers find their own way ... they won't. If you decide to go the IWB way,
you need a definite ongoing training program for staff, particularly because
they are an expensive item to implement - board, slate (if you buy them),
digital projector (essential) and installation is a minimum of around the
$5,000 to $6,000 mark ... each. And that's not counting the desktop or
laptop that is needed to accompany it.

We're in Brighton which is about as far away from Macleod as you can get but
if you'd like a day trip to the beach, I'd be happy to show you around and
give you much more info.

Good luck
Diane Peat
Firbank Grammar School