[Year 12 IPM] ITA ("IPM 2007") summary

Bane, Janet A bane.janet.a at edumail.vic.gov.au
Mon Mar 6 09:30:26 EST 2006

Hear hear Andrew!  thanks for putting the point of view of "non experts" .

Speaking for myself, I am an old "typing and shorthand teacher" who got sucked into IPM when no one else wanted to take it.  I have no computer training, other than what I did at teacher's college (which was over 25 years ago).  When I came back to teaching in '93 (after 6 years family leave) my typewriters had been replaced with computers.  I didn't even know how the right way to put a floppy disk into the drive.  Just about all my computer knowledge has been self taught since then, as I am in the government system and you know how much training they provide!

Computers are not my passion, however I feel that I have done a pretty good job over the past ten years.  Every year I have had at least 1 student get a 40+ and last year there were 4.  I often tell my students that they may know more about computers, but I know more about the course.

My point is, any new course needs to cater for a diverse range of students, teachers and resources.   We shouldn't be writing courses that are only going to appeal to the "geeks" because we will lose half our students. And unless the Department is going to provide some decent training, at little or no cost to schools, I don't believe its fair on teachers to start prescribing new/cutting edge software.   Multimedia is probably "sexier" but databases and spreadsheets, (although they may be "boring" to some), are still used extensively in business.  Finally, the prescribed software shouldn't require vast amounts of money (which most schools don't have) to pay for site licences.   At our school we only have Photoshop on the 10 Art pod computers due to the high costs involved.    I guess thats one of the joys of teaching in the state system.

I think the writers of the new course have done a pretty good job in trying to balance all of the above factors.  However, I will have to go and learn how to use Visual Basic before next year!  (which in my opinion, should have stayed in the Systems course)

Janet Bane
Patterson River SC.