[Year 12 IPM] ITA ("IPM 2007") summary

Geoff Moss geoffmoss37 at optusnet.com.au
Mon Mar 6 10:17:44 EST 2006

Hear! Hear! Jane

Having entered teaching IT in the same way, and also forced to self-train in
the State system, I concur with your arguments.

We also forget the "client" - the student.  This is not a course to cater
for the "geeks" as you call it.  It is a study that students may enter
without any prior studies in IT - there are no pre-requisites.  As such we
need to provide a course that can cater for those without prior IT
knowledge.

This year I have two IPM classes bulging at the sides.  Against the State
trend I have had over 50% increase in enrolments.  One class has 25 enrolled
students and I only have 21 PCs in the room.  (So far we have managed
through absences - and we expect, though it is not appearing at this stage,
some drop off in class numbers.)  The other class is full.

Among these students I have a mature adult student (who has 5 children) and
a number of students from overseas in the last few years who have had little
or no PC skills training.  As these students are struggling to learn the
basics of file management and the use of basic programs I would find it
difficult to try to introduce the range of multimedia programs that are
suggested by some of our list members.

I respect their wish to use, and application of, a range of multimedia
applications - in fact I am envious of some - but I have to be aware of my
client base and cater for the needs of all students.  My experienced IT
students appreciate that we must enable all students to be able to
participate and to participate with success with the same software and,
thus, do not expect to use multimedia that they may have used in school or
at home in previous years.

Let us remember the large differences in skills and abilities that students
may bring into the classroom where prior skills and knowledge is not
prescribed.

Surely, we can be inventive enough to devise a course to cater for the range
of skills and abilities we have in our classrooms with the new course.

As a group we need to work positively with the new study design, recognise
it is catering for a wide range of students over the state, and develop
courses that will excite our students.

Excel and Access can even be made exciting if we are introducing students to
new skills and functions within the application and demonstrate a range of
uses we can make of the applications.  Challenging exercises and skills
applications can develop and maintain interest.

IF WE HAVE THE ENDEAVOUR WE WILL SUCCEED!

Geoff Moss
RMIT