[Year 12 IPM] OT - Region 1 DVDs

Keith Richardson keithcr at fastmail.fm
Fri Feb 24 17:20:04 EST 2006

Another thing to watch is in the area of PAL and NTSC.
Many of my DVD's are from Asia (and hence NTSC). My TV is an old one
(hence locked at only PAL).
With a Sony DVD player (new) running an NTSC DVD, the old TV (only
PAL)showed black and white only.
Solution - either buy a new TV that would automatically switch across
from PAL to accept and show correctly the NTSC signal,
- or swap DVD player to a Panasonic NV-VP 33, because it will
automatically convert the NTSC from the DVD into a PAL stream flowing
into the old TV.
I chose the second pathway, and voila, no problems. BTW, it will also
play all regions, so that problem solved too. Also it plays both DVD and
VCR.
Ciao, Keith