[Year 12 IPM] OT - Region 1 DVDs

Mark Kelly kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
Thu Feb 23 11:00:04 EST 2006

If you're buying a new DVD player, consider getting one that plays PAL &
NTSC, DVD+R and DVD-R, MP3 files and DivX files and also has an SD card
slot.

Mine is an LG model, it's it was pretty cheap too.

I can get 18 hours of Iron Chef onto a single-layer DVD - just the thing
during boring extras!

Oh, and spend 2 minutes to Google for the region hack.  You just enter a
magic number (humorously, it's 314159) with the remote control to
permanently make DVDs from all regions playable.  Bliss!

Nikita Dulics wrote:
> If your Region 1 DVD won't play on your Region 4 Computer DVD drive you
> could try a software called "DVD Genie" to change your drive to Region
> Free. DVD Genie is a versatile region selector and tweak utility for
> various PC-DVD -players. Remember though that you can only change your
> drive's region 5 times. The last change will stay that way for ever.
> There is some info about it at;
> http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_tools/dvd_genie.cfm
>
> Good luck
>
> Nikita Dulics
> Stotts College
> 43-53 Elizabeth St
> Melbourne VIC 3000
> ph. 9629 9966
>
> */"Bricks J. Winzer" <sarcophagus13 at iprimus.com.au>/* wrote:
>
>     It will play only on a so-called region-free player. I've seen a few
>     players labelled as such which don't work with many (or any) foreign
>     discs.
>
>     Australia is Region 4 which corresponds to the PAL format down here;
>     Region
>     1 is the USA in NTSC.
>
>     Computers with DVD drives can usually play other regions no problem,
>     but it
>     depends on the player software. My friend found that his player
>     would only
>     let him change the region a fixed number of times. Others find they can
>     change it at will.
>
>     B.J.
>
>     Jill Renison wrote:
>      > Greetings all
>      > If I buy a DVD from Amazon that is coded Region 1, will I be able to
>      > play it here? As far as I know it does not have the extra
>     encoding (have
>      > forgotten the name of the technology). It's /The Merchant of Venice/
>      > with Al Pacino, which hasn't been released here as far as I know,
>     but
>      > would be really useful for Yr 10 English at our school.
>      > Cheers
>      > Jill

Manager - Information Systems
McKinnon Secondary College