[elearning] Innovation and the next big thing(s)

Andrew Shortell shortell at get2me.net
Thu Oct 21 22:34:43 EST 2010

Hi All

First the Questions (then the explanations)

1.  What, in your opinion, is going to be the next big thing(s) in
eLearning??

so far I have
First person experience ³games² where students get to learn as they search
through a game about say Science

IT must become ubiquitous ­ about as intrusive as a biro is in the ordinary
course of learning (not teaching but learning)

iPads ­  literacy numeracy apps esp for years p ­ 8
        connectivity, portable, easy to use, ³cool²,

Student teacher today showed me his ipod touch as a remote to his laptop to
an iwb where he could move around the room and do a maths build up demo on
whiteboard. Students with own ipod touch could join in and participate

Actual uses of podcasts and vodcasts of lessons for students who are away /
ill/ unable to attend for some reasons..

Getting students to create podcasts /vod to teach other students

eBooks ­ literacy, student stories, family stories; as a medium to display
and distribute student writing

Mapping student competencies and then devising lessons that are delivered
electronically an are individualised and self paced  ( I feel that this one
would need a lot of contributors.. But we do have that through these lists)

2. What is innovative in eLearning?  (All of eLearning is ,   so what is
especially innovative?)

Reponses can be off list or on.  (off list to  shortell at get2me.net)

Reasons:

There is a nice eLearning job going locally in a less than two year old
government school.. After the tour the Prin said he was interested in
innovative people and ideas. After discussion (at home and work) I am
looking for the ³killer idea². I will happily acknowledge others as the
sources and if I get the job will continue to acknowledge all sources
because it is the community that succeeds.

I have been off the lists for about 18 months due to personal probs some of
which are now solved and have been replaced with more difficult ones!
However things are looking up. An ongoing job would be good.

I intend that all of these ideas be shared because there might be something
that will spark others into enhancing student learning experiences.

Andrew Shortell
Wallan SC

(does that help to figure out which job?)  * grin *