[elearning] Innovation and the next big thing(s)

Kevork Krozian kevork at edulists.com.au
Thu Oct 21 23:25:17 EST 2010

Hi Andrew,

Agree with all of the items below but let me tell you what two things have
got me excited recently.

1.       For over 2 years I have been wanting to find an easy way to create
interactive multimedia learning/assessment activities such as flash type
quizzes that would not be self standing but would hook into a CMS like
Moodle. This would require SCORM compliance. I did manage to do it
"manually" by writing my own flash program and converting it to SCORM and
uploading to Moodle. But then I discovered FUSE ( not the Department's one )
from RM technologies that allows an easy to use interface to create the most
amazing quizzes, learning activities but wait there is more..... it is
ADAPTIVE.  That means you can sequence questions/tasks and based on the
student result send them off into a range of different pathways. Eg. Can you
do (x+2) (x -3 ) ? No, then we send you down a path where you practice 3 ( x
-1 ), 2 (a+2) etc. and then come back and pick up from the original
question.

2.       Interactive digital mobile technologies. Use of mobile phones to
access learning content ( read today's Green Guide where the mobile phone is
predicted to replace cash as the payment option in the near future ) ,
download vodcasts and podcasts and do assessment . As well as that tools
such as Active Expression to allow all students to participate to an IWB
presentation/question/quiz or the emulator that runs on a laptop for about
$20 per license.

 The secret is not the gizmo but the access it gives to real learning ,
content and assessment anytime anywhere.  Where this is in a multimedia
context it is a natural for the students.

 There is more such as augmented reality, aural learning , brain compatible
classrooms, self paced and directed student learning and the list goes on.
There was even a session  I attended at a conference recently on neural
networks where a brain scanning device is placed on the head monitoring the
alpha, beta, delta and theta waves during class so that learning is measured
by brain activity rather than a test which does nothing to evaluate what
prior knowledge the student had or what actual learning took place during
class.

Good luck and let's keep this discussion going.

Speak soon

Kevork Krozian

Edulists Creator Administrator

www.edulists.com.au