[Design and Technology] Low-cost Lasercutter

Pitt, David pi at camhigh.vic.edu.au
Thu Feb 4 22:16:03 AEDT 2016

Hi everyone!

Our school has (finally) approved a capital expenditure for our tech department to buy a laser cutter.  We're a state school with a smallish tech area at the moment which is growing, and we're starting to move from more traditional hand-tool and power tool methods to introduce CAD/CAM.

Last year we picked up some entry-level 3D printers which are still servicing our needs, which is great, and were "proof of concept" for our business manager.

Long story short, we've got about $8000 to play with and would like a small laser-cutter.  The ideal would be to engrave a range of materials, and to cut up to about 3-4mm acrylic, ply, and so on.  Just a small unit.

I was hoping for recommendations?  I'd like to buy within AU if possible.

Cheers,
David Pitt
pi at camhigh.vic.edu.au