[Design and Technology] (no subject)

paula connolly paulaconnz at yahoo.co.nz
Sun Sep 15 18:44:31 EST 2013

Dear all,
I am trying to gather some information on girls in Design and Technology.
At present at Strathmore, we are struggling to get more than 20-30% girls in our classes, particularly from year 9 up. We have revamped our programme many times. We have no metal room but do work with a range of materials in the spaces available. The staff are predominately women but we are limited in the number of classes we can run by the workshop space available.
The school has about 5% more boys than girls and textiles classes are run as a separate material from year 9.
I would love to know what percentage other schools have and what you credit it to.

Cheers
Paula

Paula Connolly
Product Design nd Technology Faculty