[Yr7-10it] RE: 'Developer in Residence' School DER Funds

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Tue Sep 22 03:50:22 EST 2009

Pauline kindly writes,

> Hi Rob and Paul ..... please could you respond with family names?

Dear Pauline, you can find both Rob and Paul's original list emails here

http://www.edulists.com.au/pipermail/yr7-10it/2009-September/002687.html

> The young person mentioned with the Flash animations is/ was Finn
> Stokes. He was a delight to be near (as is his younger brother Rory
> currently in yr 12). Both are creative as well as talented.

And, as well as receiving an excellent education, I'll warrant, Pauline.

> I listened to a SA Centra conversation about DER funding and they made
> it obvious that DER funding would free up other regular sources to be
> used for teacher PD, training etc.  Without lists like these, how do
> we regular teachers help students like Finn and Rory Stokes to work at
> a higher level than those of us waiting for our systems to upskill us?
> How do we become more pro-active ?

Excellent questions, Pauline. The games & web developing done in schools
in Australia now is, and will be, useful for students no doubt. But as i
said i do think we need, 'outside experts in schools' to do the best job.

And it appears the best & easiest way to get exceptional computer smarts
into schools & working with teachers & kids is to have them in residence.

> Cheers Pauline
>
> Pauline Crawford
> Coordinator: Resources & Information Literacy
> Australian Science & Maths School
> C/- Flinders University
> Sturt Road
> BEDFORD PARK
> SA 5042

Message sent using MelbPC WebMail Server