[Yr7-10it] Flash Avoider Game + Guitar Resources + the BuuniesMovies

Costello, Rob R Costello.Rob.R at edumail.vic.gov.au
Fri Sep 18 16:11:33 EST 2009

That's a nice actionscript tutorial with the game ... pretty ambitious
I'd say- but nice

I recently met a student from the Australian Science and Maths School
who had won the Oliphant prize for science education, significantly
based on some of his flash work for building simulations, which you can
see here    http://firoweb.com/simulations/

(he is now studying computational physics at uni and has given me
permission to share his work)

The population sub species one is nice  - turn sound on - Interesting
that simulating population dynamics 'experimentally' on the computer,
its possible to model /measure what happens ...but would have to be
differential equations if modelled in the pen and paper way, without a
computer  - much more accessible the computer model way

He and a group of friends had largely taught themselves ... he says he
wishes school had offered more programming in a formal sense

(his start was a primary school program in Adelaide called 'technology
school of the future' ...which has now closed)

I wonder how many kids we are short changing by not aiming high enough
in these areas, or at least giving them a reasonable start  ... although
students of his calibre  can get there without too much support  ...
maybe there is whole group of others who could go there with a bit more
support, and some good starting approaches ...

Be nice if ICT in the curriculum encouraged some of this, rather than
just permitting it - often with a mild disincentive ('we focus on
learning, or information literacy, not technology' - which sounds
admirable but its never quite clear to me how that rationale works
without effectively dumbing down some possibilities, which possibly were
more widespread in the first round of personal computers, in the 80s.

Or perhaps information literacy needs to include, rather than exclude, a
grasp of what software is actually about; how it works etc. one feels
its now possible to study ICT in school and miss that key insight

So we love the final work when a student makes this, an interesting
student project etc; but does our system curriculum and conception of
ICT in school do much to cultivate it?

[/rant]

Cheers, happy hols

Rob