[Yr7-10it] 'Developer in Residence' School DER Funds

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Sun Sep 20 03:43:24 EST 2009

Hi Rob, Paul and all,

Well done, Paul, and agree completely, Rob. We in Australia will *really*
be needing programmers, software engineers & developers etc going forward.

Surely do hope Kevin spends considerably MORE DER FUNDS for SOFT-DEV etc!

For example, how about local *Programers in Residence* funding?  Same as
your traditional tried&true 'writer/artist in residence' school resource?

I think some top-flight Aussie computer-folk would love to help out, on a
part time basis, co-teaching computer classes, along-side teacher-mentors.

Come on Kevin, DER funding needn't be ALL hardware. We WILL need software.

Software written by Australian people, who started their career in school.

<www.reuters.com/article/pressRelease/idUS114557+17-Sep-2009+BW20090917>

Georgia Tech to Transform Unemployed Technology Workers into High School
Computing Teachers  Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:00am EDT

College of Computing Receives $2.5 Million for Operation Reboot

ATLANTA--(Business Wire)-- In today`s economy, unemployment rates have
spiked and out-of-work professionals are forced to either join the
thousands looking for jobs or seek new career paths.

Through a recent $2.5 million grant from the National Science Foundation,
the Georgia Tech College of Computing will mitigate the stress of
joblessness for unemployed information technology (IT) professionals over
the next three years.

Operation Reboot, as the project is aptly titled, will transform an
initial set of 30 IT workers in Georgia into high school computing
teachers. The initiative began September 1.

Operation Reboot will combine Georgia Tech's innovative high school
computing teacher training program and the successful Georgia Teacher
Alternative Preparation Program (GaTAPP) to pair an IT worker with an
existing computing teacher.

They will co-teach at least two computing classes for one year, allowing
the IT professional to learn the ins and outs of a classroom.

Operation Reboot ultimately aims to improve the computing education of
4,600 students over the next three years by increasing the number of well
trained computing teachers and the number of computing classes being
offered.

This is especially important for the economy and students interested in
computing careers, as jobs in the field are expected to be some of the
fastest growing through 2016.

With computing a critical component of every American business, the need
for innovative, skilled IT professionals is more vital than ever.

The demand for IT professionals, as predicted by the U.S. Bureau of Labor
Statistics, is not currently being met by computer science enrollments in
American universities and the United States still faces a tough challenge
in remaining competitive in overall science and technology education.

Georgia Tech will publish results of the project and share materials with
other states to serve as a model on how to successfully transform
unemployed IT workers into computing teachers. © Thomson Reuters 2009

Rob writes,

Cheers,
Stephen