[Yr7-10it] Year 7-10 IT structures

Clare, Ian J Clare.Ian.J at edumail.vic.gov.au
Mon Oct 15 15:23:38 EST 2007

I agree that kids are more technology savvy but to what level. Take Word
for example. They can type documents safe and print but you get a kid to
do a search and replace, use auto text and other slightly advanced
skills and they flounder. Our task as IT teachers is to point out all
these time saving features to our students and staff so they realise how
much they are missing out and how much better and productive things
would be if they had deeper skills.

The Barwon South West region is piloting ICT Peer coaching - this is a
program where I have time release to work with two other teachers in
integrating  ICT into their teaching practices. They hope to go
state-wide next year - look out for it.

Also we need to  be proactive in promoting the use of new technologies
such as Moodle, Joomla and  Podcasting so rather than just using Word
and never ending PowerPoint presentations they can use a range of ICT
skills. The overall result deeper learning and more work for us.

Ian Clare

ICT Co-ordinator

Casterton Secondary College