[Yr7-10it] Year 7-10 IT structures

Costello, Rob R Costello.Rob.R at edumail.vic.gov.au
Sun Oct 14 15:11:06 EST 2007

Hi Anne Marie

Interesting topic for your phD

I haven't been on this list for a long time but I notice the point you
raised (are kids digital natives, what does that mean for education?)
seems to be a recurring theme

My feeling is some people here seem broadly ok with the "kids are
digital natives so don't fuss about teaching difficult ICT skills"

But I would say there is more passion around the view that this
seriously undermines the depth and range of "ICT" as a discipline

that's my feeling  - we risk preparing them for everything except a
career as in technical ICT ...

you could search the archives for similar discussions
http://www.edulists.com.au/pipermail/yr7-10it/

(another topic, we could do with a search routine on the archive page -
maybe one of these php gurus could patch one together? -

(ps - no question most/many kids have English as their "native" language
- and that's WHY we mandate 12 years of formal study of English - so, if
kids are immersed in ICT, why not teach it properly, with proper
recognition of the range and depth of the "subject" - what would the
equivalent of a well written argumentative essay be? Etc

Cheers

Rob

> Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 09:53:51 +0800
> From: "Anne-Marie Chase" <rie at bigpond.net.au>
> Subject: RE: [Yr7-10it] Year 7-10 IT structures
> 	<yr7-10it at edulists.com.au>
>
> Hi
>

> What do you all think about kids being highly skilled IT users as the
> media
> and research tells us i.e. Prenskys "Digital Natives" and Oblinger's
> "net-generation" is it a myth that kids are skilled users of
technology?
> If
> Prensky's research in America holds true for Australia surely kids
don't
> need ICT lessons?
>

> Downes research in primary schools in NSW also shows kids to be highly
> skilled.  Kennedy's research of first year uni students at Melbourne
Uni
> again shows students to be highly skilled users.
>

> I'd be really interested in your opinions on this?
>

> Cheers
>

> Anne-Marie
>

> Anne-Marie Chase
> Graduate School of Education
> The University of Western Australia
> web http://digital-kids.wikispaces.com <http://digital-
> kids.wikispaces.com/>
>

> P please don't print this e-mail unless you really need to.
>

> Leanne Wright barbarloot at yahoo.com
> <mailto:yr7-10it%40edulists.com.au?Subject=%5BYr7-10it%5D%20Year%207-
> 10%20IT
> %20structures&In-Reply-
> To=341ac4150710110358j3d7d99fk67c890bee59439b4%40mail
> .gmail.com>
>

> Sun Oct 14 08:00:33 EST 2007
>
> I'm feeling fortunate to be at a school where IT is still a core
subject
> at
> Year 7, 9 & 10 where It runs for 3 periods a week for one semester.
Year
> 8s
> do a workshop subject and are timetabled in a computer room for 1
period
> where they use drawing programs to produce working drawings for their
> workshop projects (our technology teachers are all IT qualified). Next
> year
> these arrangements will remain substantially unchanged except for Year
10
> which will lose about of quarter of its present time allowance in the
> transition to 72 minute periods.
>
>   When the status of IT was originally being discussed, I presented a
list
> of all the ICT skills that VELS required students to have, at which
point
> the committee involved realised very few non IT teachers would have
all
> these skills.decided to keep IT as a separate subject.
>
>   I too am puzzled at the idea that 'integrating'  IT into other
subjects
> will allow anything approaching an adequeate skills base for the
> 'information age' and current employer expectations. Why not
'integrate'
> the
> teaching of English into other subjects - after all we can all read
and
> write, and unlike IT, most if not all of us have done Year 12 English!
>
>   Leanne Wright - Epping SC
>

> Colin SUTTON <oz.sutton at gmail.com
>   Hi all
>
> My school, Montmorency SC, has NO compulsory ICT!
>
> A student can go through 6 years of schooling here and do NO formal
IT.

> No other school I have ever taught in (2 in Vic, 3 in QLD and 4 in the
UK)
> have ever had this!
>
> It seems unbelievable that in the Information Age students are not
> formally
> taught ANY ICT.
>
> They have to learn another language, do wood, metal, cooking and
sewing -
> useful and even essential - but the ONE thing none of them can avoid
is
> ICT!
>

> Sure, many can play games and surf to sites, but they are not formally
> taught a wide range of other useful or essentail skills.
>
> Schools I have taught in elsewhere had at least one semester of ICT at
> Year
> 7 (Yr 8 in QLD as secondary starts in Yr8).
>
> Most had an elective system that required them to do at least ONE or
more
> units at 8/9 or even again in Yr 10.
>
> Comments anyone?
>

> Regards