[vet-mm] 2006 exam

Susan Bell Susan.Bell at wesleycollege.net
Wed Nov 15 20:39:39 EST 2006

Daylan, in order for most of us to teach the five modules in the year we
can only devote around half a term to scripting concepts. If students
need such high end programming skills in year 12 then it would be best
the course is rewritten so that only the modules of scripting and
creating web pages (hand coded of course!)be included and then we could
all devote ourselves to developing students who are ready to go into
industry as scripting gurus. But lets get serious for a minute - there
is no way I can cover scripting in the time alloted and I'm not afraid
to admit that under exam conditions I couldn't answer those scripting
questions - but given a bit of time and a shot of whisky I would have
been just fine.

I can't see scripting in high schools ever being covered to the degree
demonstrated by the 2004 and 2006 exam - we just don't have the time.
Doesn't this imply that there is a problem here -  either in the hours
we get to teach scripting  or an unrealistic expectation of year 12
students who are juggling four other subjects not to mention MM modules.

>>> daylan at impactcreativity.com.au 11/15/06 7:19 PM >>>
Hi Peter,
         Im not suggesting that the exam should focus primarily on
programming and/or scripting, if anything i think the exam was lacking
in scripting. I think that we should be focusing on trying to raise the

bar as far as multimedia goes, and sitting comfortably doing motion
tweens and making cool stuff in phototshop will only hurt this subject
instead of help it. Sure doing the fun stuff will get more students in
the seats, but ideally  i thought we are always trying to improve
students knowledge of the subject.
As you said Peter "Part of our role is to provide student with a broad
understanding of the MM industry" , if students are struggling with the

small amount of scripting in the exam, then there's a problem in what's

being expected to be taught and what actually is being taught.
Look into web 2.0 (not learn it, but just have a look at it). THAT is
where the industry is heading, that is what will be required in the
future to remain even a chance to stay up to date in this industry. And

before everyone jumps down my throat about it, it's just proving that
design can be done purely through programming.
Everyone may bite my head off for saying this , but from what i've
seen, everyone wants multimedia and what we have to teach to get easier

and its not going to.
Scripting and programing is a neccessary "evil" in this course.
Im just suggesting that we need to be showing these kids more
imporatant stuff than basic design principles and how to make cool
looking buttons etc.