[vet-mm] 2006 exam

peterfowler at optusnet.com.au peterfowler at optusnet.com.au
Wed Nov 15 20:28:16 EST 2006

Dear Daylan
Thanks for the feedback.
Perhaps you have misunderstood my comments.
I am not proposing that we water down the course, on the whole my students had no problem with the scripting component in the exam. And yes you can define design through scripting but surely that requires an understanding of what contributes good design. There are many web sites and interfaces that function beautifully, but surely functionality must follow design. If not then we are destined to view design by committee, concepts that are presently available through templates. I am passionate about the notion that we can encourage our students to look at contemporary design critically and help them produce something that is truly original and not a rehash of someone else's design. To have an exam that does not recognise the contribution of design in a contemporary society (including Multimedia) leaves me saddened and disillusioned. Where would we be without some of the cutting edge designers that look at mediocrity with disdain and strive for something more. Good design isn't!
  just playing with photoshop and making funky buttons. You need an understanding of aesthetics and how objects and colours relate to and compliment each other, and much more...
I am not about to give you a lecture about the merits of design compared to programming but we are compelled to work with the constraints of a course that is flawed. You say that we need a greater emphasis on programming to meet future demands on our students, that may be so, but if they have no understanding of design aesthetics then their future product is bound to be banal and lacking in artistic merit.
Thanks for your comments. Its been an interesting discussion.
Yours Sincerely
Peter Fowler
Swinburne Senior Secondary College