[Technical] Printing management software-policies

Andrew Shortell a.shortell at braemar.vic.edu.au
Tue Sep 5 15:04:49 EST 2006

You can measure traffic in as used by each user. You measure only what
comes in over the internet connection. Much of the software only
measures port 80 (or whatever it is set to) not all traffic on other
ports

When students use credit up then papercut removes them from the internet
users group so then they can only access intranet and school email

Gaia does much the same but when I saw it last it only updated
overnight... it may have improved now.

Papercut uses a single pool of money fro printing and internet and so
when they use print credit up they lose internet as well - very handy as
pressure fro them to control their printing and to make sure they always
have some credit.

It is also interesting to see students migrate from Hotmail to the
school email as they begin to see how much internet credit the constant
refreshes use..!!!!

In  my last school we had the cost down to 4.5c per megabyte including
gst.

Andrew Shortell

Braemar College