[Technical] Notebooks for New Staff - DET needs to help

Clark, Ian C clark.ian.c at edumail.vic.gov.au
Mon Feb 20 11:42:04 EST 2006

----
	From: tech-bounces at edulists.com.au
[mailto:tech-bounces at edulists.com.au] On Behalf Of Zach Alexakos

	Hello Stephen, (No Hijacking intended)

	Not sure I agree.  My view is that the more tech. that teachers
and students alike are exposed to the better.  It's up to the school to
decide how to best use these technologies in learning environments.  But
I have serious doubts that the majority of Leading Teachers, School
Managers (ie: Principals, APs)  would have the slightest about what I'm
talking about. Just go into your next staff meeting and tell them
they're all to use iPods for teaching in 2007.

	Podcasting, video, audio, animation, games are all part of the
'new' technologies that have been booming for the past two years.  And I
would like to use these technologies in the classroom.  And not just in
IT/Multi-Media.

	And I would like my next laptop (coming up later this year) to
be an Intel Mac with ipod, dig.camera and anything else you can throw
in.
----

Hi Zach,

The issue is a legal/probity one, not an educational one.

Remember, the iPod, printer, Airport, etc were not returnable at the end
of the three year lease ... that is, they were personal gifts to the
teacher.

Apple historically didn't offer leased Powerbooks to teachers, they did
the lesser iBooks plus compensating "bonuses" to staff selecting them.

Cheers,
Clarky

Important -