[Technical] Notebooks for New Staff - DET needs to help

Clark, Ian C clark.ian.c at edumail.vic.gov.au
Mon Feb 20 11:17:41 EST 2006

-----
	From: tech-bounces at edulists.com.au
[mailto:tech-bounces at edulists.com.au] On Behalf Of Stephen Digby

	*	The Notebooks for teachers program is administered very
efficiently and staff are always polite helpful and well informed.
	*	The disappearance of the distracting "gift" offers with
Mac notebooks is a great relief as staff choices were being made on
personal benefit rather than organisational benefit.
-----

Yes, Stephen, there's already a problem with staff members treating
notebooks as some sort of job benefit, and giving them to their teenage
kids who require one at a private school.

Cabinet only approved this Notebook for Teachers and Principals scheme
(that is unique amongst state governments in Australia) because they
were meant to be used at school, to help educate the taxpayers'
children!

Because of shortages, teachers who don't think they can stick to the
agreement shouldn't apply for one, and those who aren't sticking to it
are in breach of their agreement, and can be made to surrender it back
to the Department.

-----

*	By ignoring regulations requiring me to return unused notebooks
to DET, I have retained notebooks when they are relinquished by teachers
last year, and am able to provide notebooks to all new staff EXCEPT the
one person who will be included in the new allocation and therefore wait
the longest.
-----

That's pretty naughty, Steven. There are less notebooks than eligible
participants in the scheme. There's a waiting list for those notebooks.

You may not have realized it, but in failing to return those notebooks,
you've put the needs of a new teacher at your school ahead of the needs
of people waiting much longer at other schools.

I've got several staff at my schools (young and enthusiastic teachers
who really understand IT and would use them with their classes) who'll
happily pay for the courier fee for those laptops to be picked up from
Cheltenham.

At the end of the day, this is why we have the Notebook team. They know
who's been waiting longest across the state, not us.

----

*	It would be highly preferable for me to offer all new staff a
notebook immediately on employment every year.  Can/ does the program
support this ?
----

The Notebook team have a fixed budget, Stephen, and there aren't enough
laptops to go around. Your Principal has to prioritize staff. Take one
off somebody who never uses them and give it to that gun first year
teacher you've just employed.

----
*	I am recommending to our principal that we also purchase a few
additional notebooks so that we can "patch" up the gaps in the program.
-----

Yes, that's a very good idea, Stephen. I know several schools that do
exactly this. If he wants to speak to a Principal who does that, I can
put him onto one, just email me.

Cheers,
Clarky

Important -