[Technical] Interesting computers-in-education piece. Education&the ACCC

Mark Snell mark at geekzone.com.au
Fri Aug 5 15:18:38 EST 2005

>>So, there are schools with Novell, Macintosh and Linux computers. Some
>>reimage the leased IBM laptops they receive to better suit them ... they
>>could put Debian on them if they wanted.
>

> That doesn't stop a largish slice of money having gone automatically to
> Microsoft for copies of OEM Windows and OEM Office that aren't being used.
> Correct?

Not OEM Windows. Each school has to but an invividual win32 license for
each machine it wants to run windows on.

32 bit Upgrades are free, so if you can still manage to buy win98, you
can legally install XP Pro

You can do Server OS's though, I think, so if you wanted to, you could
avoid buying windoes altogether and install 2k3 server on every
workstation....

IMHO, IANAL.

Mark

--
Mark Snell - Technician, Reviewer, Designer, Coder, Artist
----  GeekZone Pty Ltd - http://www.geekzone.com.au  ----